Saturday, January 1, 2011

the fisherman and his soul


December 1, 2010

11th Journal
- The Fisherman and His Soul -
from “The Young King and Other Stories”
Oscar Wilde

When I finished reading this short story for the first time, I thought that it is not a story for children. Even, for me, it is difficult to understand about the meaning of the story. So, I tried to read it for the second one. And I had an insight that the author had a very interesting imaginative idea about heart, soul and love. Indeed, he wrote it in a very intelligent and artistic way.
In my opinion, the author tried to show a moral message that as human we need love. It is implicitly stated that we should have “heart”. Moreover, we cannot separate our heart and soul, as well as our love.
In the end I feel sorry for the young fisherman because he lost his soul, he lost his love and his heart was broken.

I found some interesting figures of speech, such as:
  • “She is more beautiful than the morning star, and whiter than the moon.”
  • “His face was white, but his mouth was like a red flower.”
  • “... But her white feet moved like little birds.”


No comments:

Post a Comment