Friday, May 14, 2010

my name is santi




well, i'm not following the title of a newest Indian movie starred by Shahrukh Khan, no. but, maybe just got a little inspiration from it. and i won't talk about the movie either.

instead, i wanna talk a about name.

a famous Shakespeare's remark is 
"what's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

but, it name does matter in my family, in my culture (in this case, i'm a Javanese girl). name always has its meaning and purpose. sometimes too light, some other time too heavy. sometimes just trivial but other carries deep expectation in it. 
okay, my name is "sari susanti" (and i'm always called as "santi"). my father made it himself and gave it to me, a second daughter in my family. i never thought about it, the only thing i knew that the name of "santi" was a common name, a lot of girls and women named with it. then, when i was in elementary school, after one of my teacher asked what is the meaning of my name, i turned to ask him. he said that my name has a meaning of  "lovely flower". 

when i'm getting older i could find out the meaning of my own name. first, i gained it from my mother language. in Javanese: "sari"  means "concentrate, extract, juicy, pith, core". while, "susanti" has a meaning of "example, model". wow, don't you think i have a great name?  

later on, i knew that the name of "santi" can be found in other languages. 
for example in Buddhism and Hinduism mantra: "om santi santi santi hari om"
Shanti (Santi) here means "peace", it is said three times which is generally interpreted as meaning the Threefold Peace in body, speech, and mind (i.e. peace in the entirety of one’s being). 
once again, wow!

from Asia i move to Europe, because the name "santi" also can be found here. especially it has its origins in Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish.   

in Spain, the name Santi is a nickname type of surname for a person who was born on All Saint's Day. In the medieval chronicles, the name was originally recorded in the Latin form Sanctorum. 
similarly, Italian: from the personal name Santi, plural form of Santo a short form of the devotional name Ognisanti, probably bestowed on a child born on All Saints’ Day



that's all that can get so far. one name, various meanings. 
no matter what, i do love my name.
also, my other nickname






2 comments:

  1. jiah....lagi ngehits ma my name is rain
    my name is khan
    my name is inti
    dlll

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe, ini ceritanya perkenalan coy...hehehe

    ReplyDelete