Friday, May 7, 2010

You've Got Mail!

Basically I do love movies in genres of drama-romance-comedy-classic. And it's can't be counted how many times I've seen this great movie ever. Yes, Tom Hank and Meg Ryan!

Here some summaries I found:

"An updating of 1940's The Shop Around the Corner to the Internet Age, You've Got Mail follows the squabbling and romance of two competing book retailers on Manhattan's Upper West Side.

Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan) awakens to the latest comments by her newspaper columnist boyfriend Frank Navasky (Greg Kinnear) on how computers are ushering in the fall of civilization. Once she has made quite sure Frank has left for the day, Kathleen starts her computer and goes on-line. She doesn't want Frank to know that she's exchanging e-mails with a man she's never met, Joe Fox (Tom Hanks). He is also keeping this a secret from his own girlfriend, publishing executive Patricia Eden (Parker Posey). Kathleen and Joe avoid discussing anything that might reveal their identities to each other, keeping to such subjects as pets, the changing seasons, and the charm of New York. They know each other only by their Internet handles "Shopgirl" and "NY152".

Joe is an important executive in his family's business, Fox & Sons, a bookstore chain. Currently, he is readying a new "Superstore" (like a large Borders or Barnes & Noble). He has a bit of trouble attending to work rather than musing on Shopgirl's latest e-mail, but friend and subordinate Kevin (Dave Chappelle) finally gets him to focus. Joe says that although the locals won't think they want a big chain store, he knows he can seduce them with discount prices and cappuccino. Joe decides it's time to put up signs announcing that the Superstore is coming.


The owner of a large bookstore chain starts putting the owner of a small local bookstore out of business. Meanwhile they have been corresponding over the internet without knowing who either of them are. They can't stand each other in person but over the internet they are very attracted. He finds out who she is but she doesn't know. He starts to like her more but she still hates him. He has to fix it."




Besides the marvelous story and chemistry of both stars, we can enjoy the setting itself in this movie, New York in autumn, Christmas and spring. Maybe because it was directed by Nora Ephron and is set in the Upper West Side of New York City. Ephron insists that You've Got Mail was as much about the Upper West Side itself as the characters, highlighting the 'small town community' feel that pervades the Upper West Side. See also, influences from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice can also be seen in the relationship between Joe Fox and Kathleen Kelly - a reference pointed out by these characters actually discussing Mr. Darcy and Miss Bennet in the movie.


Five stars for this ^^

Here are some of my favorite quotes from this movie:

"I pretend that we're the oldest and dearest friends, as opposed to what we actually are people who don't know each other's names"

"I hear nothing, not even a sound on the streets of New York, just the beat of my own heart. I have mail. From you."

""I do love New York in Fall, wanna make me to buy school supplies ... I wanna send you a bouquet of sharpened pencils"

"... so people who don't know who the hell they're doing, or who on earth they are can, only with $2.95 get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self"

"Sometimes I wonder about my life ... I lead a small life ...well valuable, but small. Sometimes I wonder do I do it because I like it or because I haven't been brave?"

"... all this nothing has meant more to me than so many somethings ..."

No comments:

Post a Comment