Thursday, December 30, 2010

the long goodbye




October 10, 2010

3rd Journal
- The Long Goodbye -
Raymond Chandler


This crime story has its American setting after the Second World War. The main character is Philip Marlowe, a private detective who should solve a murder case of his friend, a drunk named Terry Lennox – who had shot himself after confessing of murdering his wife. The detective would meet American gangsters, an influential millionaire, a famous writer and his blonde wife, etc. And Marlowe knew that the central figure was Terry Lennox himself.

Memorable quotation:
“I can be bought, Terry. You bought a lot of me. For a smile and a nod and a few drinks in quiet bars here and there. It was nice while it lasted. So long, pal. I won’t say goodbye. I said to you when it meant something, when it was sad and lonely and final.”

I’m really impressed about Marlowe and Lennox’s friendship. Although both of them are extremely different: Lennox chose his gangster world whole Marlowe chose the other side, the good one. They understand each other and respect one another but still they had chosen different path.

My comment:
*      An unpredictable end.
*      I think the author wanted to focus on psychological aspects, especially for many characters in this book.

Funny, or the author has his own sense of humor. For example in the sentence when Marlowe returned to his apartment and found two police detectives waited for him. “I went up and unlocked the door. You don’t shake hands with the police”.

No comments:

Post a Comment