Thursday, December 30, 2010

of mice and men




5th Journal
- Of Mice and Men -
John Steinbeck

Lennie Small is a big man but not very intelligent and too strong. He always forgets everything and really depends of George Milton – Lennie’s best friend and far smarter than him. They have a dream of their own farm but troubles are always followed them, especially for Lennie. In the end, George must do something to end all of the troubles, but it’s the saddest and hardest one.

Memorable quotation:
“No”, answered George. “You’ll always stay with me. We’re a family, Lennie” (p. 37)

It seems that George really loves Lennie as best friend but perhaps George also gets tired of nurturing Lennie all the time, especially Lennie has done many wrong things unconsciously because of his stupidity and he is too strong.

My comment:
According to me this story has deep implicit meaning even though it had been written in such a simple, funny, and light way.

Some new and interesting words from the story:
  • Lennie’s name is Lennie Small. It is in contrast with his big body. I found it funny and interesting.
  • I found new sentence that being repeated several times here:
“We’ll be live off the fat of the land”
Unfortunately, I could not find the exact meaning of it but from the context I figured out that they will be wealthy and prosperous farm owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment