Thursday, December 30, 2010

the mysterious islands





October 13, 2010

4th Journal
- The Mysterious Islands -
Jules Verne

This is an adventure story of three men, a boy and a dog in a mysterious island. They worked hard to survive but here was always someone who helped them. The answer for many mysterious things was the famous Captain Nemo with his well-known Nautilus submarine!

Memorable quote:
“Before I die, please eat a last dinner with me” ... (p. 33)

Captain Nemo said the sentence when he was dying. He was a good man. I think it is so sad to know that he had spent years of his life in the submarine, alone, after his friends died, and after he lost the battle for his people.

My comment:
It is a good story. The author has his won beyond-imagination ideas about air balloon, mysterious islands, pirates, and submarine. But I think to know better about the story of Captain Nemo thus we should also read his other work “Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea”.

Well, I expect a different ending for this story. For example, what about if Cyrus Smith and his dog – Tap – would rather stayed in the island instead of returned to America. If it so, I think I can imagine that it will be another thrilling adventure to tell.   

No comments:

Post a Comment